Friday, September 09, 2005

Your Spiritual Harness

“THE LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want; he makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.” Psalms 23

Our daughter just walked by me with her new puppy in a harness. The frisky creature is “learning” to walk in a harness (sort of). She walks slowly, in one direction…all is well. Her focus is typically horizontal so she doesn’t see her guide on the other end of the lease. Our daughter keeps the lease loose. The puppy spurts to the side, the lease tightens, the puppy is saved from crashing into something. The cat approaches to learn her new sister: all is not completely well in these early stages, even though the puppy ignorantly lunges forward , her master gently pulls her back from danger….

You and I are on a great climb. The obstacle is high…the stakes are higher.

We took our spiritual puppy steps when we first accepted Christ as our Lord and Savior: “Lord” as we agreed to let Him control us; “Savior” as we finally understood He and only He gives life it’s meaning (here and hereafter). We willingly and wisely stepped into our spiritual harness.

Our initial steps were easy. We didn’t stray far at first. When we did get to the end of the perimeters, we got there gently and the tug was gentle. The longer we’re in the faith relationship, we are capable of becoming spiritually lethargic, we drop our guard, and we slip. The higher we climb spiritually, the greater the fall. We error. We’re caught off-guard and make a selfish decision, make a self-centered/ego-centered statement, our pride instead of humility dominates, our anger in stead of God’s Patience takes over: we fall. The greater the fall the more vigorous the pull-back from our Master. The tug sometimes hurts…and can be embarrassing. We acknowledge our stupidity and sincerely confess: truly intending to continue the climb. We do. But it happens again. After so many times, over so many years, the very “straying-confessing-refocusing cycle” causes us to appreciate God’s unending Patience, Love and Forgiveness (Grace).

And though you can’t see your Master, you know He is their. You know He is directing you. You know the path he is leading you is safe and in your best interest. Continue…

“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.”

Blessing Always In All Ways,

Steve
<><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home