Tuesday, September 13, 2005

John 15:5

John 15:5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

Psalm 73:28a “But as for me, it is good to be near God.”

The instructor in a photography class I took told us that the difference between a bad photo and a good one is that usually in a bad photo, the photographer didn’t get close enough to the subject.
People tend to take pictures of other people from head to toe, but when we do that, the face is too tiny to make out the features very well. We may see the whole person, but we don’t really see the person.

There’s a famous picture that National Geographic had on one of its covers, and they still use it in their promotional materials. It’s a picture of a young Afghan woman wearing a headdress. The picture only shows her face, and it doesn’t even show all of her headdress. It’s a beautiful portrait, close and detailed, and you get a sense of her character and innocence.

It seems as though lately, I’ve been seeing Jesus as a full-body picture—distant and hard to see very clearly. What I want is to see Him better. What I want is to see His character in full detail.
The problem is not with Him. It’s with the “photographer.” I need to move closer. I need to focus on His face, on who He is and the way He looks at me.

What I need is to dig deeper into the Word, not just read it on a surface level. What I need is to pray fervently, not just say routine prayers at the sleepy end of a long day.

Jesus wants us to be close to Him, the way the branches of a grapevine are close to the trunk. Is this how close you are to Him? How would He want you to go about drawing closer to Him?

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home