Monday, October 03, 2005

Is it God’s will to heal?

Psalm 103
1 Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits:
3 Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases.

John 5:19
19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.

Luke 11:2
So He said to them, “When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

1 Peter 2:24
24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.

-----------------------------------------
For the past couple of months, I’ve been taking a class on healing. It’s a tough subject for me, because most of my Christian walk (over 25 years), I’ve been taught by respected Bible teachers that sometimes it’s God’s will to heal and sometimes it isn’t, and that we shouldn’t expect too much when we pray for someone to be healed.

I was comfortable with that belief. It relieves the burden of guilt when I pray for myself or someone else to be healed. It also matches my experience—lots of people being prayed for, very few being miraculously healed. The problem is, it doesn’t match what I see in the Bible. You may not agree with what I write this week, but at least be willing to let the Holy Spirit show you the truth, even if it goes against your long-held, comfortable beliefs, just as it went against mine.

Jesus Christ is God’s will in action. John 5:19 tells us that Jesus could ONLY do what He saw the Father doing. So, what did Jesus do? He healed people, cast out demons, preached, taught, and won people to Christ. He also rebuked the self-righteous religious leaders who were also comfortable with their beliefs and didn’t like Him healing people. But He did not make people sick or blind. He didn’t give them cancer or arthritis or heart attacks. In Luke 11:2 Jesus taught His disciples to pray that God’s will would be done on earth as it was in heaven.

The bottom line for me is that it MUST be God’s will to heal people, just as it is His will to save them. That creates a new problem, at least for me. Where do I fit into the picture? What is my responsibility as a Christian regarding healing? More on that tomorrow.

Your fellow servant in Christ,
Cathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home