Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Luke 9:57-59

“As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." Luke 9:57-59

This verse took on a new meaning to me when I was going through my divorce. I had moved out of the house that I had lived in for over six years with my husband and moved into one room of my mother’s mobile home. It was quite a transition. During this time I would split my time between staying with my sister in her boyfriend’s apartment and my mom’s. I was thankful that both of them allowed me to stay. I ended up spending eight months of my life bouncing from place to place. Even though I was in a safe place and was happy just to have a place to sleep and shower I still had an unsettled feeling. I thought about the words Christ said in Luke 9. He talks about not having a home here on earth. He was in many ways unsettled. He was not complaining because He knew the work He was sent to do by the Father, but still I believe He longed for His real home. Again, Jesus can relate to the feeling of being unsettled. He understands being displaced and not in the familiar. I volunteer at a transitional home for abused women and children and I quote this verse to them often. I want them to know that Jesus understands not having a place to call home. You can have a bed to sleep in and a roof over your head, but it may not be home. I also think that as believers we also long for that place we will forever call home and be settled. The place Jesus told us that He was going ahead of us to prepare, heaven. My prayer for you today is that if you have that feeling of not being home that you will remember that Jesus understands and relates. Also, be reminded that earth is only a temporary stop on the way to your permanent settlement.

Lori

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home