Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Beloved is Mine

Song of Solomon 2
4) He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love.
16) My beloved is mine, and I am his.
-------------------------------------

My dear Christian sister Brenda recently recommended I rent the movie “Pride and Prejudice,” with Kiera Knightley. It’s a beautiful story. After a series of false judgments and misunderstandings, the main character, Elizabeth, feels nothing but contempt for the wealthy Mr. Darcy. However, near the end of the movie, Darcy seeks out Elizabeth one last time. As he looks at her with pure longing and devotion, he confesses his love for her. In the next breath, he humbly tells her he will leave and never return if that is her desire.

When I saw my brother and Tarah get married, I was so filled joy I can’t even describe it. I told Tarah, “I’ve seen a lot of marriages, but I have never seen two people look at each other with as much love as you two.” I admit I don’t think any man has ever looked at me quite that way. And here’s a hint for all you guys out there: That is the one thing most women secretly long for but will never ask for. (In our minds, that would defeat the purpose!)

From before my brother’s wedding ceremony all the way through the reception, I caught myself constantly humming a children’s Bible song that consists of one line that repeats over and over. It goes like this:

“I am My Beloved’s and He is mine, His banner over me is love...”

When I saw Dan look at Tarah, and Tarah look at Dan, I felt God’s love for both of them—and for me. You know that look I mentioned? The one Mr. Darcy gave Elizabeth? That’s how Jesus is looking at you right now. His love for you isn’t just a garden-variety love. It’s an intense, intimate, all-encompassing love, greater than any two humans have ever felt for one another. I told a friend recently, “I know I’m finally ready to remarry because I am totally in love with Jesus!” I hope you are, too, because He is totally in love with you.

So, the next time you hit a bump in the road, you’re tempted to give up, or you’re anxious or fearful, just say it out loud: “I love You, Lord. I love You, Lord. I love You Lord.” Before long, you will feel His love coming right back at you.

Cathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home