Monday, August 28, 2006

Mindless

Not long ago on a particular Monday, I was very busy trying to assemble things for an upcoming presentation. I had very much to do and was driving hard to achieve my goals. I needed my Administrative Assistant to help me with something so I walked out to her desk, but she wasn’t there. I stood there for a minute trying to decide whether to leave her a note or come back later. As I pondered my options (which lasted only a few seconds), I grabbed 3 peanut M&Ms from a big jar of “community” candy that she has near her desk. I decided to come back later and returned to my office. I was still chewing the M&Ms when I arrived back in my office and was instantly reminded of the mindless behavior that I had just exhibited.

You see, earlier this year I started a 40-Monday fast. (I am fasting all but water-based drinks for 40 Mondays.) It has been a good experience to help me refocus on Jesus at the beginning of each week. Any time I feel hungry, I think of our Lord and am completely sustained. In this instance, however, I didn’t think of Him or me or anything – I completely absentmindedly ate 3 peanut M&Ms. My behavior was totally mindless. I went about the activity with no thought about what I was doing what-so-ever. I was shocked that I could have done that. Then I wondered how often I do before I think, or more importantly, before I ask Jesus.

I recognized that I go about my days this way sometimes – absentmindedly. Instead of making a deliberate decision, periodically I simply respond to a subliminal impulse. If the Holy Spirit orchestrates our subliminal impulses, then it is good to obey without much thought. Scripture warns us, however, to be mindful of everything we do; for it doesn’t take much mindlessness for the enemy of our souls to gain a foothold in our lives. Let’s stay on guard and think before we do. And when we’re not sure of God’s will, let’s make sure to ask Him first.

Ephesians 4:17-19 (Message)
And so I insist—and God backs me up on this—that there be no going along with the crowd, the empty-headed, mindless crowd. They’ve refused for so long to deal with God that they’ve lost touch not only with God but with reality itself.

Ephesians 5:16-17 (NLT)
Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days. Don’t act thoughtlessly, but try to understand what the Lord wants you to do.

1 Corinthians 10:32-33 (Message)
At the same time, don’t be callous in your exercise of freedom, thoughtlessly stepping on the toes of those who aren’t as free as you are. I try my best to be considerate of everyone’s feelings in all these matters; I hope you will be, too.

Proverbs 13:16 (NLT)
Wise people think before they act; fools don’t and even brag about it!

Dear Lord, thank You that You give us wisdom and understanding. I pray that You will help us stay mindful of Your marvelous ways and think before we act. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Barb and Yerusha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home