Friday, October 07, 2005

In A Moment

Isaiah 43
1 But now, thus says the LORD, who created you, O Jacob,
And He who formed you, O Israel…

13 Indeed before the day was, I am He;And there is no one who can deliver out of My hand;
I work, and who will reverse it?”
18 “ Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old.
19 Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.

Would you like a chance to start all over? Would you like to leave behind everything that has happened up until now and see God do “a new thing” in your life? I know I would.

I don’t pay much attention to Jewish Holidays, but I was in a ministry training class on Monday, October 3, where I learned it was the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah. This is the time that Jews contemplate their mistakes and sins of the past year and plan changes for the new year. Jews believe their lives are written in God’s books—who will have a good life or a bad life, who will live or die. The only thing that can change those decrees is their actions during the 10 days following Rosh Hashanah, ending with Yom Kippur (a day of atonement, repentance, and fasting). What does that mean for us?

There was a court hearing a week ago concerning three of my children who are in foster care. I didn’t even show up because I didn’t expect anything good to happen. My attorney had asked me to provide evidence that I’m making enough money to support my children, but I’m not. Imagine my surprise when she told me the next day that the court was sending my 9-year-old son Jerry home for a 60-day “trial release.” If that goes well, I will get custody of him. There will be another hearing October 11 to determine if my two little girls (5 and 7) should be sent home as well.

Bear in mind that all three of these children live in homes worth well over $1 million, with two adults to share the responsibility of caring for them. I live in a one-bedroom transitional apartment in a Latino ghetto with 3 teenagers (and soon my son Jerry). There is no logical reason the court should send my children home… just God.

On Sunday, the Lord told me to start fasting the next day. I had no idea it was Rosh Hashanah, or why I should care. But for the past couple of weeks, Isaiah 43:18-19 has been on my heart:
“Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.”

Consider this. In a moment, David was transformed from a criminal and a fugitive to ruler over God’s people. In a moment, Joseph was transformed from a prisoner to the second most powerful leader of a foreign nation. In a moment, Esther was transformed from a forgotten, lonely queen to a heroine and protector of her people. In a moment, a bunch of stinky, dirty, ignorant fishermen were transformed into powerful evangelists who turned their world upside down for Jesus.

Are you ready for a new start? Forget what happened in the past. Ask God to do a new thing, because when God works, NO ONE can reverse it! PRAISE GOD!, Now THAT is something to get excited about!

Yours in Christ,
Cathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home