Monday, January 30, 2006

The Beatitudes

The Beatitudes-Matthew 5:1-12
1Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him,
2and he began to teach them saying:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

Recently I have been taking a study on the Beatitudes. These passages are familiar to most of us who have been believers for a while. As I read them I realized I really didn’t understand their meaning. After some research and prayer I have found that really the message is very important to us. I want to pull out a few of the verses that really delighted me recently. First let’s translate the word blessing. There are many words the Greek language uses for this word, but the one I love most and feel like we can really relate to in our lifetime is happy. These verses show you how to attain the elusive feeling that most people would say they were looking for. How many times have you heard I just want to be happy? Maybe you have thought it or even said it before yourself. Well, Jesus has given us the guide to happiness. He starts out happy are the poor in Spirit. What does it mean to have a poverty of spirit? The Greek translation refers to the word poor as a beggar, someone who has to live off the resources of others. So I viewed the message as happy are those who can’t do it on their own, but have to live off God. It made me wonder am I really poor in spirit or too much independent spirit? I ask you the same today? Are you completely surrendered to God and living off Him and His resources or are there only certain areas you have turned over to Him? Happy are the ones totally surrendered to the Lord.

Lori

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home