Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Shepherding-Part I: “The Cry”

“Jesus said, ‘I am the Good Shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the father knows me and I know the Father.” John 10:14-15

We have three pets: a Dalmatian, Yorkshire Terrier, and, a cat. My wife, Debbie, I truly believe has sonic hearing. We’ll be sitting n the family room at any given time and she’ll suddenly yell out one of their names directing them to stop a specific activity. First of all, I usually don’t even hear anything. Second, when I do, I can’t distinguish any specific activity by the noise. (And they say the hearing is the last to go! Ut, oh…anyway…). It’s remarkable to me how she not only knows the animals by name, but by sound. Father Anad, a priest at my wife’s church, is from a small village in India. He was telling us of a friend who is a shepherd. This shepherd knows his sheep by name. He has more than three (like our small zoo) so that alone is remarkable to me. He also knows them by their sound. He can be in a removed setting and hear a sheep’s cry, knowing immediately which one it is! Now THAT’S remarkable! In fact, it’s rather hard for me to believe. But I believe it, because I know this priest and he’s trustworthy.

Progressing from Debbie…to this shepherd…to our Risen Lord. I can better understand and accept that Christ is believable and truly does know us intimately. When we feel lost in this chaotic, massive world, it’s comforting to know there is an Entity loves us very much and who knows us by the many particulars that make us different form others. He’s ever-listening. He’s alert. He cares. And He responds.

Fr. Anad goes on to tell about how this shepherd personally fights off wild animals that would attack his sheep. He actually sleeps at the gate of the sheep bin placing himself between any wild predator and his sheep: the wild beasts have to get past him to get to the sheep. Which, as we know, is how Jesus was paralleling His crucifixion when He said, “I lay down my life for my sheep.” I realize we understand this intellectually, but think about it: can you imagine!? I’ve camped in the mountains and know what it’s like to hear animals roaming around, especially in the dark. It can totally unnerving!

When we feel alone, lost, not understood, misunderstood…isn’t it remarkable to realize we have a Shepherd Who is listening, Who cares, Who knows us so very well as a unique individual, Who stands between us and evil?

Blessings Always in All Ways,

Steve
<><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home