Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Seeds Come to Life

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword…

Yesterday I said that where I am today in my life—and where you are—is a direct result of the seeds we’ve planted. You might be thinking that’s pretty nervy of me… After all, you didn’t cause your boss to lay you off, or your landlord to kick you out so he could sell the house your were living in, or that storm to come and blow the roof off your house, or your child to get sick and die….

No, you didn’t cause all those things to happen, but you contributed to some of them by your patterns of behavior, thought, and especially speech. The Bible teaches that death and life are in the power of the tongue (Proverbs 18:21). And when a bad circumstance comes that is beyond your control, you have the ability to conduct spiritual warfare against it and turn aside or lessen the bad effects.

I know, most of you think I’m crazy. But you have more power and authority than you like to think. If you’re like me, it’s a LOT easier to just passively accept the circumstances in your life—sickness, poverty, loss, lack. That’s just the way life is, you think. That’s what you’ve always been taught, right? Unfortunately, now I know better.

Let me give you an example that I’ve shared before. For about two years I have had a recurring infection that can make my entire leg swell up to the point where it’s extremely painful to walk or sit. I couldn’t get antibiotics because I didn’t have insurance, so the infections would typically last 2-3 weeks. Since I started attending my church about 18 months ago, I have had my pastor and elders lay hands on me and pray for me and the infection would go away within a few days. But one day I felt a little “nudge” from the Lord that I was allowing this condition to keep coming back and that I needed to be responsible for my own healing. If that was really the voice of God, that meant I was being pretty stupid.

So I went to my church bookstore and got a little book by Dodie Osteen, “Healed of Cancer.” In the back she lists 40 scriptures she called out every day to receive and maintain her healing. If it worked for cancer, surely it would work for my infection… The next time I got the infection, I called out those scriptures. By the second day, my infection started clearing up. I admit I don’t call them out every day. I get tired, I get busy. When I let too many days go by without calling them out the symptoms reappear. But as soon as I call out those scriptures, the symptoms start to go away within a day. Now if I can just remember to call them out every day, I can be rid of this thing forever…. How about you?

Cathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home