Thursday, June 01, 2006

Matthew 6:25 - 34

Matthew 6:25 "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 28 So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

This is very familiar scripture to many. When I did a word search on "faith" at Crosswalk.com there were 229 entries. That didn't really surprise me, but what did was the fact that 227 of them appeared in the New Testament. Ya think Jesus was trying to get something across to us? For us in America, it sure is easier to have faith when you have a good job, a car that runs, a dry roof over your head and some money in the bank. But this scripture speaks directly to that! God knows we have need of these things, but seek first the kingdom of God.

On April 21st, after two years and four raises in a job I really liked, I was called in to the Executive Directors office and fired. He was surprised (and of course a bit angry) when my response was to laugh. "Did I find that funny" He asked? "Oh no" I replied "But God has most definitely shut this door and He will open another one."

You see, I had been questioning God after the death of my granddaughter and also praying about some significant changes in my life. The reason I laughed was the way God choose to give me His definitive answer. While there are some areas of my life that I struggle with His control over, I've got at least a 98% faith in His ability to handle my finances. I laughed because He took the one thing I am the most confident is in His hands.

My husband is disabled and can't work to pick up the slack. That's ok. I know it is in His hands. My unemployment has been initially denied and I am having to fight it. That's ok. I know it is in His hands. He will supply my needs according to His riches in glory. (Phillipians 4:19)

Meanwhile, I have been able to help at church with projects that needed to be done, I have been able to actually clean my house, not just move the top layer and I have had more time to pray. I know that when the time is right, God will open the perfect door for me. I'll tell you about it next time.

In His service for His glory,
Deborah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home