Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Psalm 37:23 – 24

Psalm 37:23 – 24 “The steps of the godly are directed by the Lord. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will not fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand.”

This passage presents a challenge for me. I don’t have a problem with the very beginning, because I know our steps are directed by the Lord. But I tend to see those steps as the big ones—which church we choose, our career, how we raise our children, whether our financial decisions include tithing.

It’s harder to imagine Him caring about all the little mundane details of my life, let alone delighting in them. Brushing my teeth, going to the grocery store, pumping gas, loading the dishwasher. Does God really delight in these things? They don’t seem worthy of His notice.

But it says right there that He does. Every detail of our lives. When I come and when I go. When I hit the snooze button in the morning one more time. When bright red seeds from the overhanging trees peek up from cracks in the sidewalk and catch my eye, He takes delight.

And when I get weary to the bone from too long a workday and not enough play time, He knows that detail too. Not only does He direct my steps, He holds me by the hand. I need that because sometimes I stumble. I need Him to keep me from falling when I do. I need Him to hold my head up and reassure me of His presence when all I feel is emptiness and all I hear is silence. I need this reminder in the Psalms that He doesn’t just put up with me. He delights in me.

Are you in need of a reminder too? Has your life become a struggle against all the boring routine of work-home-repeat? Have you lost sight of the pleasure God takes in you just being you? Then, look to the Psalms again and let them sink in.

May we remember that the Lord holds us by the hand and takes delight in all we do.

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home