Monday, May 15, 2006

Job 9:8

Job 9:8 “He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea.”

Psalm 33:22 “May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in you.”


In Paris, the Place de L’Etoile is where the Arc de Triomphe sits in the center of a huge traffic circle, and twelve streets lead away from the circle like spokes from a hub. Tourists tend to get stuck driving around and around the circle, unable either to find the right street to take or to get over to it in time.

That’s what my life feels like right now. I’m stuck in a job that has me endlessly doing the same thing, and I desperately want out but I don’t know what to do instead. The job market around here has been dead for the past several years, and I don’t know whether to wait for it to open up, look for something out of state, or try for a career change. My prayers about all of this have been met with silence.

Finally, I went down to the beach in the late afternoon to talk to the Lord undisturbed. The sky was overcast with heavy gray clouds that darkened the ocean. The roar of the breaking waves drowned out any other sounds. It was just me and the Lord on the sand at the edge of the sea.

I didn’t tell Him as much as I expected to, and He said even less. But as I stood there watching wave after wave break and slide up the sand, I heard in my head, “Be still and know that I am God.” And I felt a sense of calm that had eluded me for months.

I still don’t have any answers about which road to take. All I have is “Be still,” and yet that’s enough. I don’t have to worry about finding the right road, or panic at possibly missing my turn. He is God and I can rest in Him until He makes the answer clear.

Are you stuck going in circles in your life? Are you in a quandary that seems to have no solution? Maybe it’s time to stop chasing after the answers. Maybe it’s time to stop ceaselessly telling the Lord about it and take a little time to just be still. Let His unfailing love rest upon you, and find again the hope you have in Him and the peace He gives freely to those who are His.

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home