Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Shepherding-Part II: “The Challenge”

“Jesus said, ‘I am the Good Shepherd, I know mine and mine know me, just as the father knows me and I know the Father.” John 10:14-15

“This is my commandment that you love one another as I have loved you.” John 15:12

I appreciate all Christian expressions of the faith. I see them as a multifaceted diamond. Some days, I like the “high” liturgy. Other times, I like a semi-formal service that offers some flexibility and interaction. And other times, I like an unstructured, free, “move by the Spirit” expression of our faith. Beyond an actual worship service, as I consider various Christian groups I feel some are too “vertical” and others too “horizontal.” That is, some focus entirely on the individual’s direct relationship with Christ, and nothing else. Others seem to focus entirely on our “brotherly/sisterly” humanitarian efforts, using Christ as simply a reference point---the ultimate role model.

My belief is, the true understanding of Christ’s message to us is represented in the Cross: a proper relationship with Christ has an intense private, one-on-one, relationship with the Risen Savior…and simultaneously, an intense reaching out to our fellow human beings out of sincere, selfless love.

As yesterday’s Bread affirms, it’s great to know there is Someone who truly cares for us. There is Someone who is ever-listening, One who will defeat Evil in our lives for us. The next step is: who feels that way about you? Are we in touch with Christ’s love for others through us? Do we truly care about anyone else? Do we care simply for their own good, not because we can benefit from them? Does anyone really, really know down deep inside them that we are there for them simply because they are a valuable person to us? Do they feel…not just know…but feel…that we are alert to their hurts, and concerns, and fears, and wishes? Do they feel our presence of Love at all times and have the assurance that we are thinking of them, praying for them, and ever-ready to do what is needed for their good?

“This is my commandment that you love one another as I have loved you.”

Blessings Always in All Ways,

Steve
<><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home