Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Call of Jeremiah

Jeremiah 1:4-9

4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying, 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew [a] you,before you were born I set you apart;I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." 6 "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." 7 But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.

9 Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant."


Footnotes:
Jeremiah 1:5 Or chose

Perhaps you have read Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life as many folks have and maybe your church has even participated in a Purpose Driven campaign. Here in Jeremiah, we find a great example of a call to purpose. Jeremiah is called by God to be a prophet even before he was born. Note verse 5. "Before I formed you in the womb, I chose you, before you were born I set you apart".

This calling is at first a general one. But God quickly moves to refine that calling in the last half of verse 5. Jeremiah claims to not know how to speak and further emphasizes his young age. When God calls anyone to a task, he always equips him/her for the work they are to do. God further assures Jeremiah that he need not be afraid of his task. God will be with him and rescue him. What is missing is a promise of a trouble free journey. Trials may come, but Jeremiah's life will be preserved. While his task is that of a messenger of doom (verse 10; uproot, tear down, destroy, and overthrow) there are some positive aspects to the call in the form of planting.

Even before you were born, as we have read, God had a plan for you. Do you know what that plan is? Are you listening?

May you bring Glory to His Name in all that you do.

Mark

New International Version (NIV) Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home