Tuesday, August 29, 2006

More Than Just a Name

When I check my email and I see the name of my covenant friend in my inbox, my heart tenderly flutters. Had I read her name on a page or heard someone say it before meeting her, it would have meant nothing at all to me. And had I received an email from her prior to our meeting, I would likely have deleted it without even reading it. But now that I’ve met the person behind the name, the name means something very special to me. And as I get to know her more, the name grows sweeter and sweeter to me. People could have told me how wonderful she is, but until I encountered her myself, my response would not have been remotely what it is since we’ve met. Now that I’m in personal experience with the person, I can attest to the wonder.

This is how it is with Jesus. To many, He’s merely a name on a page, or a sound on another’s lips. Reading the name on a page or hearing someone say it, before one has had a personal encounter with the Person behind The Name, it remains merely “a name.” Messages get deleted without even being read; and responses to testimonies about the Person are dismissive. I, for one, can personally attest to this behavior. I can remember completely glossing over comments about being healed and testimonies to His wonder. I can remember not caring one bit about such discussions and even going to some effort to avoid them. But I’ve had the experience, and I can now attest to the wonder. My heart has been opened to His love, and my responses have changed! I now know the yearning Believers can have to invite others into the Kingdom; and I know the disinterest that others can have towards being invited. I also know with certainty that this interest can and does change.

Once a heart personally experiences Jesus, wow! He becomes committed. She begins to trust. They learn to love. Their hearts flutter at His name. But before these things can happen, they must meet the Person behind “the name.” Believers can help whet the appetite for the introduction, and our Father assigns the Harvest. Only after encountering the Person will the name become The Name that inspires awe and changes lives. For we know that at The Name of Jesus, every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!

Have you encountered the Person behind the name? Jesus is truly more than just a name. He is an eternal experience; and once you meet Him, you will never be the same.

Philippians 2:9-11
Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Glorious Lord, may our hearts ever flutter at the wonder of You. Help us to go deeper in our experience of You and know intimately the Person behind The Name. In Your Matchless Name, we pray. Amen.

Barb and Yerusha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home