Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Psalms 101:3

Psalms 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Ephesians 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:


Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I like to listen to Randy Carlson on Family Life Radio's Parent Talk. Through the years he has given me a lot of sound, scripturally based advice on relationships. The other day, his show was on controlling media in your household. As someone who is strongly against television, I was pleased to hear several callers respond that they had made the decision to remove it completely.

My ex-husband struggled with this many years ago. For several days I would watch him turn on the TV, flip through the stations (usually in a matter of moments) and turn it off. I finally asked him what he was doing. He said he would watch a channel until something unGodly came on. After a week of this, the television went.

My experience, which was echoed over and over again with the callers was that the sense of calm and peace in the house was immediate. When you realize that satan is the prince of the air (a fact which he does little to hide these days) and that visual images are very profound, it becomes easy to understand that you are allowing spirits into your household that you would not otherwise allow. As one who unfortunately has a television in my house again, I am sorely vexed by the spirits of anger, violence, negativity, lust and greed which invade my home. Even if I am not physically sitting there watching, I can feel and be affected by the sounds.

A pastor of mine used to put it this way "Would you allow a couple to come into your home, lay down on your living room floor and make love in front of you? Would you allow a man with a gun to come in and chase your family around?" Of course not. Yet, that is exactly what we do when we allow that to come into our houses via the media!

It was pretty well a given during these calls that even if the show itself you were watching was not bad, the commercials were. Some callers had managed to use TIVO or other filtering devices to pretty good effect, but basically acknowledged that there was not much you could do other than stay away from it completely.

If you have never done a television fast, I challenge you to try one. Even if it is only for a week, you will be amazed at the difference in your home and in your soul. Spend the time reading, playing games with your family or working on a project. You will see that it is time well spent.

In His service for His glory,
Deborah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home