Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Bucket

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, [a] you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
Psalm 139 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV) Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

Recently I had a conversation with a youngster about how God is everywhere. In trying to explain this big concept, I remembered something that I had read. If you lower a bucket down into the ocean, the bucket is full of water. But it is also totally surrounded by the water. So we got out a pot and some little paper cups and tried it out. Sure enough, the cups filled with water but were totally surrounded by the water in the pot. What a cool way (especially on a 90 degree afternoon) to visually understand how God can be everywhere all at once.

Frankly, as I thought back on the day, I really needed a reminder of what David wrote about in Psalm 139. And now I can't look at those little cups without thinking about God!

Blessings,

Mark

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home