Wednesday, July 12, 2006

When the Bible is Wrong

“Woe to you, experts in religious law…for you hide the key to knowledge from the people. You won’t enter the Kingdom yourself and you prevent others from entering.” (Luke 11:52) (New Living Translation)

“I know all things that you do: you are neither hot nor cold, since you are lukewarm I will spit you out of my mouth.” (Revelation 3:15)(The New Living Translation)

The Bible is wrong…when it directs me to do something I don’t want to do.
The Bible is wrong…when it makes me uncomfortable.
The Bible is wrong…when it opens my eyes to my selfishness.
The Bible is wrong…when it doesn’t say what I want it to say.

Jesus was upset with people who twist the Scriptures: He saw through them. He knew they were intentionally misreading the Scriptures. They were using the Scriptures to justify their own wishes. We can do it, too. We can selectively read the Scriptures to support our personal biases, choosing not to honestly investigate what the Holy Spirit has to say objectively. We can do it intentionally, we can do it innocently. Either way, the result is the same. This maneuver may soothe our conscience, but it doesn’t change reality. Then we don’t understand why life isn’t fulfilling. Then we don’t understand why we aren’t at peace.

It’s His way or no way. You decide, but games won’t change the facts.

Blessings Always in All Ways,

Steve
<><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home