Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Will you let Him come?

Casey - Part 1

When my son, Casey, has been challenged with seizures, they’ve often occurred at night and have generally come in clusters (weeks at a time). During these especially trying times, Casey really wants to be held or be close to someone. My husband and I often, therefore, allow him to stay in bed with us for part of the evening. (It’s a bit easier for the weary parents too.) The challenge is that once these clusters subside, Casey continues to come to our bed in the middle of the night. I usually wake up when he arrives and attempt to send or take him back to his own bed, which sometimes results in a struggle of wills. When it does, Casey WILL NOT give in. His obstinacy usually wakes up my husband who breaks up the matter by allowing Casey in the bed. Frustrated by this result, I said to my husband the other day; “If you keep allowing him to come, he will continue to come.” I was immediately struck by the power of those words.

Casey has created a “habit” which has evolved into something that he obviously enjoys. He finds comfort in being in bed with us, so he wants to continue in that habit. And we have partially (at the very least) endorsed the habit by inviting him to our bed during tough times. So what do we do? As I think about breaking his current habit and creating a new habit (staying in bed), I recognize that it will take discipline. It will take a concerted, unified effort for my husband and me to change this habit. It may be painful and even result in sleep deprivation. Would it be worth it? ABSOLUTELY!

I pondered my comment to my husband in the context of Jesus. “If I keep allowing Him to come, He will continue to come.” Am I allowing Him to come? Am I spending enough time with Him – in His Word, in His Presence, in prayer and worship to Him? What has to change for me to make inviting Him and receiving Him a habit that evolves into a lifestyle? My guess is that it may be painful at times and even result in sleep deprivation. Would it be worth it? ABSOLUTELY!

How about you? Have you developed the habit of allowing Jesus to come? I assure you, it will absolutely be worth a little pain and sacrifice of sleep. Join me, won’t you?

Psalms 64:10 (The Message) Be glad, good people! Fly to God! Good-hearted people, make praise your habit.

Acts 10:3 (The Message) He was a thoroughly good man. He had led everyone in his house to live worshipfully before God, was always helping people in need, and had the habit of prayer.

1 Peter 4:1-2 (The Message) Since Jesus went through everything you’re going through and more, learn to think like him. Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way. Then you’ll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want.

Blessed Father, thank You for Your patience with us. I pray that You will come into our lives and flourish from a habit into a glorious lifestyle. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Barb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home