Thursday, June 22, 2006

Pain and Suffering

Oh what a subject, one that is widely disagreed upon. I am going to do my best to show you Scripture as to why I believe pain and suffering are a part of God’s divine purpose for our lives.

12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 1 Peter 4

For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. 1 Peter 20 King James Version

20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 1 Peter 20 NIV Version

Would suffering be God’s design for our lives? Can we speak that way? Or should we speak of God working with what He is given? In other words, does God oversee and manage the affairs of the world so that we can speak of suffering as his will and his design or does he, rather, manage the world like a chess player who does not will the moves of his opponent, but can always check them and turn them for good? Does God plan the place of suffering in the lives of his children for good ends or is He always in the position of the responder to the pain that other forces give him to work with? (From the book “The Hidden Smile of God by John Piper)

I want to be clear on what I believe to be true. God governs the world and all that happens in it with a purpose and design for the good of those who love Him.

Some more Scripture:
Isaiah 46 9 Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. 10 I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please. 11 From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do.

Ephesians 1 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he[c] predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—

Matthew 10 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny[d]? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.

Proverbs 19 21 Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

Proverbs 21 1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.

Genesis 50 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

Job 2 10 He replied, "You are talking like a foolish [b] woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said
.
For John Bunyan and others, the loving purpose of God in pain was one of the most precious truths in the bible and one of the most powerful experiences in their lives, including my own.

My prayer is that everyone reading this bread today would seek out Scripture and God concerning pain and suffering. That anyone suffering would seek God and ask Him to reveal His purpose in their suffering. That anyone suffering would find comfort in knowing that God intends it for good and for the saving of many lives. That we would find True Peace in knowing God is in control of our lives.

With much love,
Max and Tammy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home