Friday, June 30, 2006

Imitation

The Fruit of Influence

I was recently having a discussion with a colleague at work regarding a project that I am very passionate about. I found myself trying to make my point using my hands. After a few minutes, I noticed that I was positioning my hands in front of me with my fingers and thumbs coming together as if holding a small object in each hand (the classic Italian “mamma mia” pose). As I noticed this hand posture, I thought to myself, “Where did that come from?” I had never spoken using this gesture before. This puzzled me until the weekend when, during lunch with a friend, I noticed her using the same hand motions while attempting to illustrate a point. “Aha!” I thought, upon realizing that I must have absorbed this practice from her. But why did I do that? I suspected that the answer lay in the closeness of our relationship and my respect for her.

You’ve probably heard the phrase, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.” To imitate someone is to pay the person a genuine compliment—sometimes an unintended compliment. Imitation can be deliberate, as in the case of a daughter applying makeup the same way her mother does. Or imitation can be subconscious. We are born with a subconscious drive to want to be like the people whom we value and hold dear. Whether deliberate or not, the root of all imitation is the same: influence.

Influence is the tree that bears the fruit of imitation. Our entire lives—how we speak, how we write, what we eat, what we wear, what we believe, who we are—are constructed from the bricks and mortar of influence and imitation. The root word for influence means “flowing in, into, or on.” Doesn’t that remind you of the Holy Spirit? He flows in us and upon us. As we absorb Him, He comforts, teaches and guides us. The Word tells us to be not drunk with wine but to be filled with the Spirit. Why? Because we are to live under the influence of the Holy Spirit and not be consumed with anything else that impedes His influence.

Imitate means “to follow in manner and copy in form.” God created us in His image and likeness and breathed His life into us. Christ’s call to us is, “Follow Me.” The influence of Christ shows us whom to follow, what to follow, and how to follow. Even Paul instructed the Believers during his day to imitate him as he imitated Christ and to imitate the faithful.

What I suspected about the relationship with my friend was right on. Because of our closeness and my respect for her, she influences me. Thus even in the little things, I find myself imitating her. Have you ever noticed yourself doing or saying something that you recognize as characteristic of a friend or acquaintance? It is possible that you were subconsciously paying that person a compliment. It is also possible that you were simply acting under the influence of that person.

We are born to imitate; and we will imitate whatever influences us. The flip slide of this reality is that we are born to influence. Whether we intend it or not, people are absorbing our practices, and they will follow our manner and copy our form. So I ask myself these questions, “What of me is flowing into and upon the people in my path? Do I want them being who I am, doing what I do, and saying what I say?” Though I do not always answer these questions with a resounding “Yes!”, I know the hope within me, and I endeavor to be both the imitator and influencer that God created me to be.

I Corinthians 11:1 (NKJV) Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

Hebrews 6:12 (NKJV) …but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Daddy God, we pray that You will always be our ultimate Influencer. May our lives bring You glory as we imitate Christ and the faith of those who inherit Your promises. May You help us be the influencers that You created us to be. In Jesus’ Name, amen.


Barb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home