Monday, July 17, 2006

Romans 12:12-13

Romans 12:12-13 “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.”

I Peter 4:9 “Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.”

The Bible uses “hospitality” as a command, but it just doesn’t come easily to me. When I read these verses, I wince and hope the Lord doesn’t really mean it, at least not right away. But I know He does.

It’s just that it doesn’t occur to me to invite people over to my house. I work late so much, there’s hardly ever any food because I don’t have time to get to the grocery store.

But the Lord knows what He’s doing, because He gave me my daughter, and since she graduated from high school a year ago, she’s been inviting people to our house. I get phone calls at work, or at home when she’s out. “Mom, can I have some friends come and watch Pride and Prejudice?” “Mom, can this friend spend the night?” We even have one of her friends living with us now in the spare bedroom.

My first inclination when she asks is to say no. The house isn’t tidy by a long shot. There aren’t any snacks. There’s nothing to drink but tap water. What on earth would these kids think? Really, though, none of that matters, and I almost always end up saying yes.

God told me, “Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.” It does take practice, but I see their need. These kids need a place to go where there isn’t a lot of emotional turmoil, where they can hang out and not get yelled at. And sometimes the girls ask me for advice about men or about difficult friendships, and I try to do my best to give the answers the Lord would have me give.

I’ve learned (again) through this practice of hospitality that God’s commands are for our benefit. The blessings I’ve received by sharing my home with my daughter’s friends are beyond measure. I just wish it hadn’t taken me so long to learn this lesson.

How about you? Do you need to practice hospitality a little more? Or is there some other command the Lord has been trying to get you to obey? Take a chance and let Him show you the joy that comes from doing His will.

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home