Thursday, September 28, 2006

Courage and Faith

Ruth 1:16-18 (English Standard Version)
English Standard Version (ESV) The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.

16But Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. 17Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you." 18And when Naomi saw that she was determined to go with her, she said no more.

Ruth, the great grandmother of King David, takes a great chance above. You are familiar with the story. Naomi, Ruth's mother in law, losses her husband and two sons while living with the Moabites. She goes to return to Israel and Ruth, who has every right to stay with her own people, decides that her place is with Naomi. What a huge risk she takes, leaving her own nation and customs to go to a land where she will know no one and will have little protection.

We all take risks especially when we are younger. I remember being a pre-teen and gathering together with 20 or so friends to spend the day shooting BB guns at each other in a dangerous version of capture the flag. Please don't show this to your pre-teen sons as it was only by God's protective hand that no one was seriously hurt. We all still have our eyes although there are some permanent scars.

Am I still a risk taker? I confess that I am. As you have read this week, I have traveled to unusual places around the world. But I take even greater chances here at home. I share my faith with those around me. Come on. Admit it. Many of us would rather be shot by a BB gun than have to share your faith with a non believer. We must have the courage to share the Gospel with those around us. We must have Faith that He will use these occurrences to bring glory to His name.

My prayer for you is that you would sit with that coworker or friend sometime today and share more deeply than just the weather. Have the Courage and Faith of Ruth.

To His Glory

Mark

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home