Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Psalm 139:14

Psalm 139:14a “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”

Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Recently I attended the Women of Faith conference in my area, and what a couple of the speakers said hit home with me enough that I bought their books. Sheila Walsh’s book, I’m Not Wonder Woman, But God Made Me Wonderful, has questions at the end of each chapter for the reader to think about or journal about or pray about.

In the first chapter, she talks about how much we mean to God and how great His love for us is. I know this already. I believe this already. But one of the questions stopped me in my tracks.

How do you honestly believe God sees you?”

My answer was, “As a disappointment.”

I know He loves me, but I’m a disappointment to myself, and since He knows what I know and then some, how could He not be disappointed too? He’s given me gifts and He’s poured out blessings on me, and I stick so many of them on the shelf to gather dust, because I’m afraid to take chances. I’m afraid of what might happen if I step out, even in faith, into the unknown.
And I picture God in heaven, shaking His head over all the dust collecting on His gifts to me and wondering why He even bothers.

I know that’s not who our God is. I know that. But still I need the reminder sometimes, the reassurance in my heart of what I know in my head.

He longs to gather me in His arms and tell me, “Do not be afraid.” He longs for me to seek His face--first, not as a last resort. He longs to have deep conversations with me that help me remember that He will be with me, even to the end of the age.

How do you honestly believe God sees you? Take your answer to Him, either in praise, or for healing of the wounds that have left you doubting His love for you.

May the Truth set you free.

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home