Friday, September 08, 2006

To Know Or Not To Know

1 Corinthians 13:12 (NIV)
Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Too often we minor on the non-essentials instead of majoring on the essentials that we do know. When it comes to Christ's return, the major issue is not the when of Christ's return, but that we are ready for it because God alone knows the day and hour of this time. And then who can understand the Holy Trinity--God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit--all part of the one God. "Someone has said that if you fully try to understand the Trinity, you'll lose your mind. But if you deny the Trinity, you'll lose your soul."

Then there are questions about life that we simply cannot fully answer. We offer up platitudes. We make guesses--sometimes even educated guesses, but we really don't know. For example, we don't understand why good people suffer. We don't understand why bad people prosper. We can't understand why some people from a certain kind of situation become criminals, while other people growing up under the same kind of circumstances become sterling citizens. And why does God allow missionaries to be kidnapped and killed?

However, there is one thing in life that we can know --that we know that we know--and that is the answer to life's most important issue--our eternal well-being. God's Word, the Bible, assures us that all who put their trust in Jesus as their personal Savior can know without a shadow of a doubt that we have the gift of eternal life. - Dick Innes

1 John 5:13 (NIV)
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God [Jesus] so that you may know that you have eternal life.

O golden day, when light shall break,
And dawn’s bright glories shall unfold,
When He Who knows the path I take
Shall open for me the gates of gold!

Earth’s little while will soon be past,
My pilgrim song will soon be over,
The grace that saves shall time outlast,
And be my theme on yonder shore.
Then I shall know as I am known,
And stand complete before the throne;
Then I shall see my Savior’s face,
And all my song shall be saving grace. - Julia H Johnson

Have a blessed weekend,
Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home