Friday, September 01, 2006

God relents when people repent

I just love the witness of the prophet Jonah. My favorite part of his experience is when, in utter anger, he told the Lord, “I know that You are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, One who relents from doing harm.” (Jonah 4:2) If you’ve read the Old Testament account, then you’ll know why Jonah was so upset. He basically accused the Lord of being a God who relents when people repent. He said, “I knew You’d do this. I knew You would forgive these Ninevites and show them mercy. That’s the very reason I didn’t want to come to this place and obey you.” In my humble estimation, the fact that God relents when we repent sounds like something to celebrate. But when the truth of God’s grace applied to a people Jonah despised (particularly after he prophesied God’s wrath against them at God’s own demand), Jonah despaired unto death. It can be tempting to despair when we see the blessings of God’s relenting in the life of someone we dislike (or someone who has wronged us). But our hearts should be encouraged when we see the favor of God on that person’s life. For in this we know that His heart is the same toward us. He stands ever ready to relent when we repent also.

What amazes me is how convinced Jonah was about the goodness of God’s heart. He had absolutely no doubt that God would be gracious and full of compassion. May we know such conviction! The Message translates Jonah 4:2 this way: He yelled at GOD, “GOD! I knew it--when I was back home, I knew this was going to happen! That’s why I ran off to Tarshish! I knew you were sheer grace and mercy, not easily angered, rich in love, and ready at the drop of a hat to turn your plans of punishment into a program of forgiveness!”

Perhaps you need to be reminded today that God relents when you repent. He longs for you to run to Him, confess sin, and receive His forgiveness and cleansing. He desires to lavish His love on you every moment of every day. Nothing you have done, no matter how sinful, can separate you from God’s love. You can be sure of that!

Romans 8:38-39
For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Gracious Father, thank You that You always forgive. Thank You that You love us no matter what. May our souls ever rejoice in You, our Daddy God, who are slow to anger and teaming with love toward us. We bless You, Lord. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Barb and Yerusha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home