Thursday, September 14, 2006

WWJD

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

“He who follows Me, walks not in darkness,” says the Lord.

Jesus plainly tells us to learn Him: to imitate Him. We may have advanced academic degrees, but what good is our learning if it isn’t used to help us be more like Jesus? We work hard. We study hard. We become very knowledgeable in our area(s) of interest. Are we happy? Do we feel the “peace which surpasses all human understanding” (Eph.4:7)?

All of my adult life I’ve been an avid Bible student, formally and informally. What good does it do us to know the facts of the Scriptures if we haven’t the Spirit of the Scriptures?

The Spirit is the manna from God which feeds us in our desert journey through this world.
I remember a great teacher once say, “I’d rather feel contrition than know how to define it.” Indeed, it isn’t learning that makes a person content, it’s pleasing God. Don’t mishear me, learning can be a great enabler toward that end. But let us never confuse the means with the ends.

Don’t we get it: to understand the words of Christ we must emulate the actions of Christ?

Blessings Always in All Ways,
Steve
<><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home