Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Philippians 1:3 - 5

Philippians 1:3 - 5 “I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.”

I wrote a Bread several months ago about my decision to go to Poland. My church has been the sole support for a minister, Jerzy, in northeast Poland for over twenty years, and this past September his church celebrated their 60th anniversary. They asked us to send some people from our church to celebrate with them. So I went, with two other women, and spent a week there.

It was such a blessing, for us as well as them, to spend time together. Jerzy’s enthusiasm was boundless. He told us about the activities he was involved in and his passions, like astronomy and geology, or Teutonic knight battle reenactments, and how he uses them to reach people for Christ. He shows them the stars through the telescope on his roof and then tells them of the God who created the heavens and the earth. He dresses as a warrior, remembering that we do battle against the powers of darkness in the name of Christ here on earth.

We shared meals with church members eager to speak to us and be reminded again that, even though we live halfway around the world from each other, our hearts are joined together through our faith in Jesus.

They were strengthened and encouraged by our visit. And we were blessed beyond measure for having gone. On both sides, the joy overflowed.

I don’t often think of the missionaries we send or the foreign ministers we support, except when I receive emails from them. But I need to. Through my prayers and support, I share in a partnership with them as they share the gospel with a lost world. And through contact with them, I can minister to them. It seems like such a little thing, to send an email or a letter, but I know it means so much to them.

What encouragement can you offer to those who serve on foreign soil? How might you minister to the ministers? Take a few minutes today to make contact with just one. You may find a new friend and a partner in the gospel.

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home