Thursday, November 02, 2006

Stand and Testify, Part 4

Today's writer is Stefany. Here's another blessing:

"My husband and I had only been married 3 months when our world got turned completely upside down. It was February 8th 2004, and we were headed home to San Antonio after visiting my in-laws in Corpus Christi. It was 3:00pm and a perfectly clear day when I noticed some strange things on the highway… There was a white SUV pulled over on the right shoulder, and there were 2 pedestrians walking northbound on the left shoulder. For the life of me I couldn’t figure out why there would be people walking next to such a busy highway. As I was trying to determine which lane was safer to be in, I suddenly noticed there was a white Toyota truck stopped in front of me, in the left lane of Hwy 37. At 70 miles an hour, I had to react quickly. I swerved to avoid hitting the truck, and our Explorer rolled 4 times.

I was in and out of consciousness. I remember seeing my legs hanging out the driver’s side window and that I couldn’t turn my head to look at my husband nor would he respond to me when I spoke to him. There was a lady named Tiffany, a trained EMT, who stood outside my window talking to me. (I believe she was an angel sent by God to protect us.) She called my parents and let them know there had been an accident. My parents live in Dallas so it would take them a minimum of 8 hours to get to us. Tiffany stayed with us until we were taken to the hospital in Corpus and later came to visit us in the hospital.


I didn’t get to see my husband that night because he wasn’t stable enough. I finally got to see him the next morning in ICU. In addition to external injuries, he had also suffered a trauma-induced stroke, which caused severe right-sided weakness. I, on the other hand, was extremely fortunate and only had a broken collarbone and sprained ankle.

What a way to start out a marriage, right? Not what either of us expected. But I can honestly say that I now see this traumatic event as a blessing. We would not be where we are now (physically, spiritually, and emotionally) had we not gone through this trial.

Before the accident, I believe my faith was “luke-warm” or “on the fence”. Despite my efforts, I never could fully give my life to Christ. Now, however, I know that God is my strength and my savior. I thirst to learn more of the word of God and I seek every opportunity to share God’s love with those around me and to share my story. God used this experience to pull me closer to Him and to show me that I am not the one in control. (What a relief!)

As a result of the accident, Shawn and I have been through many challenges including a month-long hospital stay, intense physical therapy, numerous medical bills, career changes, moving to Dallas, and many many others. God has carried me through each and every part, and I know He will continue to lift me up as His daughter. I feel very blessed to have such a powerful story to share with others, and I pray that God will use it to speak to you as it may apply to your life."

Blessings,
Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home