Thursday, January 27, 2005

Surprise!

"I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate." Romans 7:15

When Debbie and I lived in England one of our favorite television shows was entitled, "Surprise! Surprise!" Surprises are interesting, sometimes revealing. Recently, I was in a difficult situation that arose spontaneously. I had to think quickly. When it was all over, I felt good about the responses I chose in the sense they were "politically correct." I did everything right, even though I didn’t have time to plan and strategize. But after I finished congratulating myself I began thinking deeper. As a Christian I was embarrassed. I began to realize ways I should have responded that would still have been politically correct but would have also been a strong witness to our Christian faith. My self-congratulations diminished into humiliation, embarrassment. When I was in the pressure of the moment and had no chance to think about the details, I thought primarily of my human circumstances. As the saying goes, "I hate it when that happens!" Despite how truly committed to Christ we feel we are, despite whatever we do to further strengthen an already deep faith conviction, isn’t it great to know we are, indeed, saved by Grace! "But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)." Ephesians 2:4-5

Blessings Always
in All Ways,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home