Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Isaiah 43:16-19

Isaiah 43:16-19 (New King James Version)
16Thus says the LORD, who makes a way in the sea
And a path through the mighty waters,
17Who brings forth the chariot and horse,
The army and the power
(They shall lie down together, they shall not rise;
They are extinguished, they are quenched like a wick):
18"Do not remember the former things,
Nor consider the things of old.
19Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness
And rivers in the desert.

About the same time that I got mad at God, I received an email from a Bread reader. She said she lived in Orange—not far from where I work and go to church—and she wanted to have lunch with me.

As it turned out, we couldn’t connect for about another week. When we finally met, we shared our testimonies of what God had done in our lives. In the previous five years, her very successful career stalled when her company relocated to Milwaukee. After that, her father died, then her mother died, and finally her husband died of a brain tumor. And yet she had the joy and peace and strength of the Lord.

After more than two hours together talking about the Lord, she said, “Cathleen, I feel like the Lord is asking me to open up my house to you. Now, I’ve never had any children, so I don’t think I want any of your kids there…”

“Oh, that’s fine,” I answered. I wouldn’t expect that from you. But it’s a very nice offer. I’ll pray about it.” She asked for a list of references and I gave them to her. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting much.

But that Sunday, my pastor told me she had called him to check my references. “I am so excited,” he said. “God is going to do a new thing in your life. I know this is from the Lord, so whatever you do, don’t turn it down!” I had no idea what he was talking about.

A “new thing.” That’s what I needed from God. I thought of Isaiah 43:19, but I was still afraid to get my hopes up in case it didn’t work out. I was still remembering “the former things, the things of old.” But still, I felt a spark of hope. Maybe God really WAS going to do something different in my life. And maybe He is going to do something different in your life too.

Cathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home