Friday, February 11, 2005

Matthew: 3:16 - 4:2

I heard something interesting yesterday on the radio that ties in nicely with my teaching yesterday on knowing the Bible for yourself. A respected Christian radio station stated that the 40 days of Lent stood for the 40 days Jesus fasted before he was crucified. Now that puzzled me. I know my Bible. I know Jesus did not fast the 40 days before he died; but maybe I missed something. So I asked a couple of other people. They all said "Well yeah, while he was in the wilderness." OK, I know he fasted 40 days at that time, but that was 3 years before his crucifixion. The general reply was "It was? Well then he must have fasted another time.

While I'm not saying he didn't fast here is my proof and timeline that he wasn't fasting 40 days before his crucifixion.

Matt: 3:16 to 4:2 After Jesus was baptized, (By John at the very beginning of his ministry - Deb) He went up immediately from the water. The heavens suddenly opened for Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on Him. 17 And there came a voice from heaven: This is My beloved Son. I take delight in Him! 1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil. 2 And after He had fasted 40 days and 40 nights, He was hungry.

This is Jesus talking about himself and his disciples.
Matt. 11:18-19 For John did not come eating or drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon!' 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."

This was what some now consider Palm Sunday. His triumphant entry to Jerusalem shortly before he was crucified.
Matt 21:9 Then the crowds who went before Him and those who followed kept shouting: Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest heaven! Then He left them, went out of the city to Bethany, and spent the night there.

John 12:1-11
1 Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany where Lazarus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2 So they gave a dinner for Him there;


Matt 21:18 Early in the morning, as He was returning to the city, He was hungry.

This was the incident that caused Judas Iscariot to turn Jesus in to the priests.
Matt 26:6 While Jesus was in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper, 7 a woman approached Him with an alabaster jar of very expensive fragrant oil. She poured it on His head as He was reclining at the table.

I could probably come up with more scriptures, but I think you get the point. He obviously was eating just fine the week before he died. Now here again, this does nothing to change who Jesus is and what He has done for us, but you need to know your Bible for yourself!

What if the next thing that is blithely spouted from the radio station is a salvation issue? Are you going to know that?

Thank you all for your wonderful input this week. Don't ever hesitate to reply to a Baker. It really helps us out to know that people are actually reading the things we take the time to write. I hope everyone has a blessed Resurrection season. Because He lives, I can face tomorrow!

Sincerely,
Deborah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home