Wednesday, February 02, 2005

My Septic Is Backing Up - Taking Short Showers

The problem with your septic backing up, is that it causes you to change your lifestyle. The same is true when your spiritual septic system is backing up.

Romans 7:14-23 (NKJV)For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

1 Corinthians 7:5 (NKJV)Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Heb 10:25 (NKJV)not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

As a result of our septic problems, we have been forced to make many changes to our lifestyle. Gone are the days of full-force long hot showers (sigh). These days we take very short showers, that have just enough water trickling out of the faucet to get the job done. Gone are the days of doing laundry at home. We have met many new people at the public laundry mat. Gone are the days of care-free flushing (every flush follows the "If it's yellow let it mellow" ruleā€¦I know too much information). Each flush is a painful reminder that we have a septic problem. I will be amazed if our children don't develop a serious neurosis about toilet flushing. My point is, you have to alter your lifestyle in order to avoid or minimize the painful reminder that you have a problem.

We do the same thing in our spiritual lives. Gone are the days of guilt-free fellowship with our church family. Many people avoid contact with church friends (especially close ones) who might ask embarrassing question about our life. In fact, we may be meeting many new people in the dark places our sin takes us. Gone are the days of constant communication (prayer) with God. After all, (we think) God doesn't want to listen to us when we're living our life apart from Him. Gone are the days when we enjoy showers of God's blessings. Because we're living "defeated lives", we miss out on what God really has planned for us. I think you get the point. We allow our septic problem to separate us from the one who's ultimately going to fix the problem (oops, I let the cat out of the bag :-). Don't let Satan beat you up with the fact that you are human and are going to make mistakes. You can't be perfect (only one person in the history of the world was), but you can get better. We'll talk more about this tomorrow.

Blessings to you all.
Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home