Monday, May 16, 2005

"And Whatever You Do..."

“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17 RSV

Three years ago I walked into a Taco Bell owned by a franchisee I had never met. I couldn’t help but notice a large gold plated plaque placed “dead center” on the wall in front of all who entered. Upon it was written: “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17 signed by Charles and Kay Nailen.

I couldn’t keep from contacting this franchisee to inquire. I was impressed with an even deeper intersection of business and their Christian commitment. I learned they have two companies, one entitled “BBG Specialty Foods, Inc.”, the other entitled, “GGG Foods, Inc.” The first standing for, “Blessed By God”, the second standing for, “(to) God Give the Glory.” As I’ve come to know this lovely couple, I’ve been continually touched by their blend of Christianity and the real world. In commenting on their two companies, Charles recently said…

“We named our Taco Bell corporation BBG Specialty Foods, Inc. in recognition of all the many ways that our lives have been BLESSED BY GOD.

And then when we got into the KFC business we named our KFC corporation GGG Foods, Inc. - recognizing what our purpose in life is - to Give God the Glory in all things.”

The real challenge of the Christian faith is “where the rubber meets the road.” It’s easy to attend a worship service (even as challenging as schedules can be). And we have a momentary feeling of fulfillment upon those occasions when we participate in a church sponsored ministry event. Don’t mishear me. Those activities are great, and much needed! But those intermittent surfacings of the Christian commitment isn’t what it’s all about, is it? It’s about being ever-conscious of our Christian commitment throughout every day. It’s about how employers treat their employees; how supervisors treat their supervisees, and vice-versa; it’s about how we all treat each other.

It’s about whatever we are doing, trying to be an expression of Christ’s Love “in the moment” and giving an overt testimony whenever we can. Admittedly, more-often-than-not St. Paul’s other words as found in Romans 7:15 are an accurate reflection of our efforts: “I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate." Nevertheless, we cannot “give up the good fight” but forever press forward, “Jesus said to him, ‘No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.’ " (Luke 9:62). “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,….” (Matthew 28:19)

(written with the permission of by Charles and Kay Nailen)

Blessing Always In All Ways,

Steve
<><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home