Friday, May 13, 2005

Changes

Joshua 1:1-2, 6-9 “After the death of Moses the Lord’s servant, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, ‘Now that my servant Moses is dead, you must lead my people across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them.’

“’Be strong and courageous, for you will lead my people to possess all the land I swore to give their ancestors. Be strong and very courageous. Obey all the laws Moses gave you. Do not turn away from them, and you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed. I command you—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.’”

So many changes all at one time, both in the history of a nation and in the life of one man. The people had lost their leader of forty years and were having to adjust to having Joshua now to lead them. They had spent forty years wandering in the desert, following the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night. Now they would follow Joshua in a purposeful war against the inhabitants of the land God had promised them. And Joshua had to make the adjustment from being Moses’ assistant to being the military, administrative and spiritual leader of a nation.

My life is changing soon, and I’m finding strength in the first chapter of Joshua. For years I tried to figure out what I wanted to be when my kids grew up, and I kept coming up with a big blank. Then last year it came to me. I want to be a tour director. It’s a job that uses more of my strengths and my passions than any other job I’ve had. It’s also a job that I can’t do while I’m still raising my kids. But in a month my youngest will be graduating from high school.

And I’m scared to death of the career change.

I’m familiar with my old career. I’ve been doing it for over twenty years, and I’m good at it, but it’s become unsatisfying and draining. I’m excited about tour directing, about being able to make sure the tour members get what they’re promised, and also about telling them the stories that help make places come alive. But I’m afraid I won’t be able to handle the challenges well enough. And yet I do believe tour directing is what I’m made to do.

So when the fears sneak up on me, I look to Joshua and the instructions the Lord gave him. “Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it.” This is the source of Joshua’s strength and success, and it will be the source of my strength as well.

What changes are you facing that have you overwhelmed? What scary or intimidating situations are you in? Seek the Lord and his Word and let him strengthen you. “Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home