Thursday, July 07, 2005

Declaring Your Independence From Greed and Envy

One of the areas that causes us Americans a lot of distress, is our finances. There never seems to be enough paycheck to meet the monthly expenses. I'm certainly not exempt from this malady. Can any of you relate? Perhaps, if we were really honest with ourselves, the problem is that we're not satisfied with what we have. We've been convinced we have to have MORE. As a population we're bombarded by an average of 4,000 images every day that tell us the products we absolutely "need" in order to be happy. Most of these products appeal to our "flesh", and really aren't needed at all…faster cars, bigger homes, clothes, jewelry, electronics…the list and desires of the flesh seem to be endless.

Do you really think that's what God intended for you? Do you think he made you so you give yourself ulcers while figuring out how to collect more and more "stuff". I really don't think so. Mark shared last week how he visited one of the poorest countries in the world, Malawi, Africa, and met people who had almost nothing, but they were joyful. Their joy came from the Lord; not because they had stuff, but because they were content with God's provisions.

You no longer need to suffer from greed and envy:

Hebrews 13:5 (KJV) Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Philippians 4:8-12 (KJV) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you. But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Matthew 6:24-27 (KJV) No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

I must admit I have had to discipline myself in this matter, and I very grateful for the times when I am comfortable with only God's provision. It's not easy to fight against the enemy's bombardment of messages, but with Gods help we can all claim the victory.

Blessings to you all.

Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home