Friday, November 11, 2005

Mark 1:16-18

Mark 1:16-18 “As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.‘Come, follow me,’ Jesus said, ‘and I will make you fishers of men.’ At once they left their nets and followed him.”

John 21:18-19 “Jesus said, ‘Feed my sheep. I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.’ Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”’

For the last month, I’ve been reading a small section of Joseph M. Stowell’s book, “Following Christ” each night in my devotional time. Right up front, Stowell points out that Jesus began His ministry with a call to follow Him. And He ended His ministry with the same call. That makes following Christ a lot more important than a lot of us want it to be.

It’s human nature to want to lead. We like it when other people follow us. We divide the world into the leaders and the followers, with the implication that the leaders are the winners and the followers are the losers.

But Jesus turns the world’s understanding on its ear. His highest calling for us is to follow. He never talked about how to be a leader, but instead showed by His example how to serve others and to follow His Father.

The question becomes: How well do I follow? How well do I listen for the Good Shepherd’s voice, and when I hear it, how well do I obey? It’s not enough for me to listen. Following requires action. Just as Peter (Simon) and Andrew left their nets at once, so I too need to act right away when Jesus calls.

How is your “followership” these days? Let your focus be the will of your Lord and Savior.

May you follow in His footsteps, wherever He may lead.

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home