Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Ephesians 3:17

Ephesians 3:17 “And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God’s marvelous love.”

I got a call not too long ago from the husband of an old friend of mine, inviting me to a surprise birthday party for her. We had lived next door to each other nineteen years ago, when our sons were toddlers and we were pregnant with our daughters, who were born four days apart. But time and growing families and the real estate market sent us our separate ways.

About ten years after that, we met again at a bible study and got reacquainted. I was going through a divorce, and she was pregnant with her third child, but we managed to keep in touch for a year or so. Then we lost contact and made it again when our sons went to the same high school, and lost it again after they graduated.

We’ve always been happy to see each other again, but as I thought about what to get her for her birthday, I was stumped. I knew her, but I didn’t know anything important about her. I had no idea what she liked to do, so I had no idea what she’d like for her birthday. Scrapbooking supplies? Crafts? Books? Movies? I settled on a bookstore that also sells movies and music and coffee and got her a gift certificate. It was very generic, and it saddened me that I didn’t know her better.

I don’t want my relationship with Jesus to get that way, where I bump into Him every now and then. I don’t want to lose track of what pleases Him. I want my roots to go down deep and not stay at the surface.

Where is your relationship with Christ? Do you know Him well? Are your roots sinking down into the soil of God’s love?

I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him.

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home