Monday, December 19, 2005

Homer

Many years ago I “found” a stray kitten that immediately adopted me and became my best friend. Herman would follow me around, be at the door when I got home, played fetch (yes, a cat) and he knew just how to curl up next to me in a loving, yet non-invasive manner. Later in his life we decided to get him a “buddy” and adopted a cat from the humane society. Homer and Herman mostly “tolerated” each other (which wasn’t exactly what we had in mind) but we knew they were company for each other when we weren’t home. Then a few years ago Herman passed away. Homer is still with us, and while we take care of him, he just isn’t Herman. For example, when I would get in bed at night Herman used to curl up next to me (motionless, just letting me pet him) for the first 15 minutes or so, then go sleep on a nearby chair. It was perfect - cuddly as I dozed off, but not bothersome as I tried to sleep. Homer never interfered with Herman’s nighttime practice. But after Herman was gone, Homer started to venture onto the bed, but, in my opinion, he just couldn’t figure it out. He would sniff me, lay down, get up, lay down, and then start doing laps. He’d walk around my entire body – across the pillow above my head, down the side and around my feet, etc. A few times I’d kind of fold him into a lying position, trying to replicate the cuddly place Herman used to inhabit, just for him to get up and start all over again. More than once I just chucked him out of bed entirely!

Over the recent years Homer has made it his habit to come to bed with me. Although it’s improved, he still usually manages to irritate me as I try to fall asleep. On one recent night as Homer sat next to me, he lifted his paw ever-so-gently and touched my shoulder; I instantly received the Lord’s message. People (like cats) are different, but God loves them all. Homer continues to love me regardless of the unaffectionate manner in which I treat him. All he wants is to be accepted, not rejected (or judged) because his habits are different.

How many people have I judged by their outward appearance or behavior? Maybe I haven’t actually pushed them away, but do I avoid them? Have I ever actually purposefully walked a different direction in order to avoid someone? Have I thought how irritating someone was? Was their behavior different from what I was “used to” or wanted? Could it actually be ME who needs a wider perspective? Could they actually benefit from my “accepting” presence in their life? Do I really have ANY idea what is actually going on in their heart? What gives me any right to be a judge? There is only one Judge that is worthy.

Matthew 7:1-2 “Stop judging others, and you will not be judged. For others will treat you as you treat them. Whatever measure you use in judging others, it will be used to measure how you are judged.”

John 8:15-16 “You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. And yet if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone, but I am with the Father who sent Me.”

Acts 10:34-35 Then Peter replied, “I see very clearly that God doesn’t show partiality. In every nation he accepts those who fear him and do what is right.”

Lately, I’ve notice that Herman purrs more. I’ve seen him just waiting for the moment that I will sit or lay down (there aren’t actually too many of these), at which time he is instantly nearby purring, longing for me. I smile and minister to his needs.

Father, I pray that You give us all a heart of love and nourishment for others, no matter what their outward appearance or behavior may be. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Barb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home