Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Mark 10:15

Mark 10:15
Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.”

Romans 4:20-21
20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.

I am learning a lot about faith from my 9-year-old son. Little Jerry lived with my sister and her husband for almost two years before he was returned to me. They prayed at bedtime, but they never went to church or talked about God.

Since Jerry has been with me (about 2 months now), he has been like a sponge for the things of God. He loves church. He even volunteered to be a “pastor” and taught his Sunday school class last week.

Jerry stands out in a crowd because of his red hair and freckles. Several adults at my church have taken a special liking to him. A couple of weeks ago, one of the men felt led by the Lord to give Jerry a $20 bill. He was delighted. But when we got home, he noticed the twenty-dollar bill had fallen out of his pocket. We prayed together that he would find it and looked through the van. No $20 bill.

Several days later, I took Jerry and his older brother to Gamestop, one of his favorite stores. We were in the parking lot about to leave when suddenly something seemed to come over Jerry. He said, “Mom, I’m going to find my $20. I’m going to find my $20. I’m going to find my $20.” He kept repeating it over and over, looking determinedly through the van.

At that moment, I wanted to warn him that God isn’t a vending machine, but something stopped me. Instead I said, “Jerry, start praising God right now for your $20 bill.” So he started repeating over and over, “Thank you, Lord, for helping me find my $20. Thank you, Lord, for helping me find my $20.” I prayed with him. It wasn’t five minutes later that he uncovered the missing $20 under some papers on the floor. And then he was shouting, “Thank You, Lord! Thank You, Lord!”

I felt blessed and convicted at the same time. My “grown-up” faith wasn’t sure God would come through with that $20, but the faith of a little boy proved me wrong. Now I’m asking God to give me the faith of that little child, to believe Him for a miracle. Jerry and my other children sincerely believe God will give us a 5-bedroom house with a pool and a dog. They thank Him for it all the time. I’ll let you know when we move in!

Yours in Christ,
Cathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home