Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Beatitudes - Part 4

The Beatitudes-Matthew 5:1-12
1Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him,
2and he began to teach them saying:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.”

Happy are the pure in heart. When looking at the original Greek language I found that the word for pure had a meaning of being purified by fire or like a vine cleansed by pruning. It reminded me of Job being tested and the verses in John with the vine and the branches.

“But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.” Job 23:10

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.” John 15 1-4.

The verse says to me happy are those who God has purified. That’s a huge thought. Yet, when God tests us and we come out a more pure servant of His on the other side when we look back we know it was worth it. It had purpose. In regards to the rest of the verse that says they will see God. I think about my tests in life and so many times I see God through all of it. Either He guides me through or I look back and see He was there all along. Is God testing you? Look for Him through all of it. See Him. Happy are those who are purified by the Refiner’s fire.

Lori

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home