Monday, February 20, 2006

Fast Time

As part of a 40-day fast I recently completed, I decided to make daily communion with Jesus the first thing I do every day. I get my grape juice and cracker and sit with the Lord for a few minutes. Among other things, I thank Him that the first food to touch my lips is the nourishment of Him (Body and Blood), and I pray that He will indeed nourish my spirit. A few days ago while praying this, I instantly received His reply. He is pleased, no happy, to nourish me, but He wanted to know what I am doing to nourish Him. What am I doing to nourish the Lord? Wow, I had to think about that for a moment. Since He resides in me, the question was, “What am I doing to nourish the Lord inside of me?” It took me all of one second to discern what would nourish the Lord inside of me. For me it CLEARLY is a deeper study of the Bible. Jesus told me He wants me to nourish Him in me, and He wants me to do it by getting deeper into His Word.

My first reaction was, “Just WHEN am I going to do that? I have no leftover time.” (He didn’t care about that!) “It’s too massive a project. I cannot see how I could ever find the time to complete such an overwhelming task.” (That didn’t move Him either. In fact, He reminded me that I would never complete it.) “OK, how will I do it?” (Once again, there He was, with a reply…fast.) “Fast studying the Bible?” (No, fast your time, and use it to study My Word and get quiet before Me.)

Of course He is wonderfully and perfectly right. I have already begun planning for my next fast, but I intend for this fast to be the catalyst for a permanent change in my use of time.
You may not need to change any habits for a deeper study of the Bible. You may be WELL along that path. But do ask yourself: “What do I need to do to nourish the Spirit (the Jesus) in me?”

Wonderful Lord, I pray that we can determine what nourishment is needed to feed the Jesus in us so that we continue to grow our roots deep into You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Colossians 2:6-7 (NLT)
And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to live in obedience to Him. Let your roots grow down into Him and draw up nourishment from Him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all He has done.

Barb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home