Tuesday, February 07, 2006

He Sent His Word

Psalm 107:19-20

Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, And He saved them out of their distresses.He sent His word and healed them, And delivered them from their destructions.
________________
I should have known better. Over the past two months, I have suffered with a very painful infection that made it difficult to sit or walk. I know God can heal—I have been miraculously healed more than once. And I did what I knew I should—I went to the pastor and elders of my church, who anointed me with oil, laid hands on me, and prayed for me, just as James 5:14-15 says to.

The symptoms did start to go away for a few days, but a week later they came back. I was devastated. I couldn’t think of any unconfessed sin or unforgiveness in my life. I was reading the Bible, praying, and worshiping God ever day. What was I doing wrong?

Finally, I went back for another “dose” of prayer. This time, after the elder anointed me and laid hands on me he said, “You need to be in the word!” Now, I knew I was reading the Bible more than most of my Christian friends, and I go to church three or more times a week, so I felt a little defensive when he said that. But when I really thought about it, I realized I wasn’t being as diligent about using the word to “attack” my sickness as I should be.

So I went to my church bookstore and bought a little booklet by Gloria Copeland called, “God’s Prescription for Divine Health.” Something she wrote in there really grabbed me. She said if she got too busy to call out healing scriptures for just a couple of days, suddenly she would find she was too sick to get out of bed.

I began calling out the scriptures in that little booklet three times a day. The first couple of days, I didn’t feel anything. But by the third day, I noticed I really felt the presence of the Holy Spirit when I was calling them out, and my symptoms were disappearing. A couple of days later, they were almost completely gone. When I get too tired or too busy to call them out, those symptoms start appearing again, and I go right back to the word. If you're suffering right now, start fighting back with the Word.

Cathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home