Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Improving Your Hearing

“Rise up in splendor, O Jerusalem! Your Light has come! The glory of the Lord shines upon you!” Isaiah 60:1 “You have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace that was given to me….that the mystery was made known to me by revelation.” Ephesians 3:2-3a

“Tell me your ‘Call story’ “ a fellow Christian will sometimes ask. Often, church-goers think only religious professionals are “called” by God.

I grew up going to tent revivals, crusades, Wednesday night prayer meeting, weekly Bible study, etc. where we would share our “call stories.” I felt embarrassed because I had nothing dramatic to share. Often my friends would tell of explosive emotional moments when they had a sudden “spiritual rush” that knocked them off their feet, sometimes literally! I recall many, many times being at revival meetings when people would answer the “altar call” by coming to the front of the church (or tent), kneeling in prayer, and demonstrate a great outburst of tears and cries praising God for revealing His Spirit to them. Why not me? Didn’t God want me? I often answered those altar calls. I went to the front of the church or tent and knelt in sincere repentance and commitment. Why didn’t I ever erupt in emotional outbursts?

As I continued on my spiritual quest and “matured in the Lord”, I began to understand that our “call” is the moment we realize that God came to earth in Jesus Christ. Christ died for my sins. He rose from death. And the power of that same Holy Spirit is available to indwell within me to cleanse me from myself and free me to a level of living I am not capable of producing on my own: here and hereafter. It’s when we really understand that following the example of Jesus and opening oneself to the Holy Spirit is the best way to live out our time on earth…and money, power, prestige don’t hold a candle to the joy, the peace, and the reward that come with a relationship with Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit. That turning point can come at any moment in our journey. It can come in a series of moments in our journey. And once we do hear the “Call”…He can call again. For, you see, as sincere as we may be, we continue to be human. We’re prone to moments of intolerance with our brothers and sisters. We’re susceptible to selfishness. We fail to stand up against injustice. We focus on the things that divide us rather than the things that unite us. We zero-in on each other’s faults instead of each other’s strengths. We see a fellow human in need, and keep going. We’re still capable of sin. And when it dawns on us…we feel awful. That is another moment of our being “Called.” Haven’t heard the call lately? Listen carefully. He’s calling. Every moment, of every day…you have the chance to answer. And what a difference it makes when we do answer!

Blessings Always in All Ways,

Steve <><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home