Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Covenant Friendship

Over the past year or so, I noticed in the books I’d been reading that every one of the authors spoke about their circle of Christian friends and prayer partners. They clearly found joy and strength in these relationships and espoused them highly. Being (temporarily) the only born-again Christian in my family, I was not surrounded by like-believers. Although Church and Life Groups are overflowing with the Holy Spirit, it just didn’t seem to be the same connection as was discussed in these books. I longed and prayed for that. I discussed this with my Life Group leader who filled in (wonderfully, I might add) some of the gaps. But this past Christmas, God interjected His interpretation of what I needed. And let me tell you, He had a WAY better understanding of my needs than I could have ever even imagined! He sent me a “covenant friend.” I have grown more through this friendship in the past month than I had in the past year. God looked WAY past what I wanted and knew not only what I needed, but blew the top off what I could even imagine possible.

I write this Bread for two purposes.

First, to remind you that we cannot even imagine in the same realm as God’s foreknowledge of what is best for us.

Ephesians 3:20-21 (NKJV)

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.


Second, to encourage you to understand, seek out, and BE a covenant friend.

The Two Major Roles of a Covenant Friend:

To discern and call forth the purposes of God in the other person’s life.

To do battle in the spiritual realm on the other person’s behalf.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (NLT)

Two people can accomplish more than twice as much as one; they get a better return for their labor. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But people who are alone when they fall are in real trouble. And on a cold night, two under the same blanket can gain warmth from each other. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.

1 Samuel 18:1-4 (NLT)

After David had finished talking with Saul, he met Jonathan, the king’s son. There was an immediate bond of love between them, and they became the best of friends. From that day on Saul kept David with him at the palace and wouldn’t let him return home. And Jonathan made a special vow to be David’s friend, and he sealed the pact by giving him his robe, tunic, sword, bow, and belt.

Heavenly Father, I pray that we all would seek covenant friendship, for in this bond, You are always present – a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Barb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home