Thursday, February 23, 2006

Splinter

On a recent trip to the “castle park,” my 5-year-old, Ryan, got a splinter in his finger. He came running to me and asked for some water and a band-aid. Since he’s seen us clean “boo-boos” with water in the past, I’m certain that he determined that remedy would suffice to resolve this issue too. I reviewed the small, yet obviously painful, splinter and told him that it would have to come out. Being not too deep, I thought I might be able to maneuver it out right there; but he pulled from my grip at the first sensation of pain. I tried again, but this time tears began to well up in his eyes. He said, “No, Mommy, that hurts; I just need some water.” I explained to him that water wasn’t enough this time and that if this splinter wasn’t removed, it would get really sore and hurt his finger a whole lot more than it did right then. He allowed me to try one more time but pulled from my grasp again at the first indication of pain. I told him that he was going to have to go through a little pain, but when it was over, he would forget that it even happened and be able to play with no pain. My explanation didn’t help, so we headed home where I got a sterilized needle and some tweezers. When he saw the needle, he became VERY anxious. I looked at the splinter under a magnifying glass to see clearly what needed to be done. As I began to work, he again pulled away and tears flowed freely. I touched the needle to a different finger to show him that it probably wouldn’t hurt nearly as much as he thought it would. Finally, after numerous attempts to “convince” him that it would be OK, I gripped his hand tightly and loosened the opening enough to remove the splinter. Meanwhile he was WAILING, clearly more in fear than in pain. When all was done, I held him and told him that it was all over – the splinter was gone. He looked down at his finger and between sniffles said, “Thanks Mom.” I added a band-aid (for evidence of his heroics more than anything), and he was off and playing without another thought.

As I reflected on this experience, I wondered how many splinters I had that the Lord wanted to remove. What fear grips me from enduring a little pain? Are the remedies that I pray for the ones that will extract the splinter, or are they just pain-free band-aids? Do I trust that God sees clearly under his magnifying glass and knows better than I what is needed in my life? Do I pull away from His touch when the tears begin to flow? Are there times when He just has to grip me for my own good, regardless of my tears? How about you? Do you have any splinters that the Father needs to remove?

Heavenly Father, I pray that we can trust first in You and be willing to endure whatever is needed to fulfill Your perfect will for us. In Jesus’ Name. Amen

Hebrews 12:11 (NKJV)

Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

John 16:21 (The Message)

When a woman gives birth, she has a hard time, there's no getting around it. But when the baby is born, there is joy in the birth. This new life in the world wipes out memory of the pain.

Romans 8:18 (NKJV)

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Zechariah 13:9 (Amplified Bible)

I will bring that group through the fire and make them pure, just as gold and silver are refined and purified by fire. They will call on my name, and I will answer them. I will say, `These are my people,' and they will say, `The LORD is our God.'

Barb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home