Friday, August 04, 2006

Psalms 63:3 - 4

Psalms 63:3 Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise You. 4 Thus I will bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name.

Psalms 134:2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, And bless the Lord.

John 4:22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. (NKJV)

As I was getting ready to come in and finish my last Bread I popped into my husband's bedroom to visit. What I saw on television sent chills down my spine as it always does. He was watching some musical show. On stage was a man sitting at a piano and singing. Every time they panned to the audience, the majority of them had their arms raised and were waving them toward the singer. As I watched them "worshipping" their idols, this weeks earlier discussion of television and the prevailing spirits came back to me.

While truly not even knowing what he was watching, I'm guessing most people would not see anything wrong with the show. The music was not crude or dissonant. The man was not scantily dressed and my guess is that it was some sort of reality series where someone will end up with lots of money and a new career.

So what's my problem? The audience is worshipping that man and they don't even realize it. I'm sure the vast majority of them would deny "worshipping" anything. But the point is, just as ignorance of the law in juris prudence is no excuse, not knowing that you are worshipping doesn't keep it from happening.

God wants us to raise our hands to Him, not some music group. God wants us to worship Him, not some sports star or movie idol. Just as it bothers us as parents when we see our youngsters "playing" at smoking cigarettes or other negative social behaviors, it must break God's heart to see His children "playing" at worshipping things other than Him.

As someone who had no problem raising my hands, jumping up and down, screaming and yelling or otherwise showing my adoration at concerts, sporting events, bars or other coliseums of the world, I am now honored to raise my hands only to the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. Just as I would bow to no other, I will raise my hands to no other. Satan is always looking for that counterfeit. Be sure that you know what is worthy of your praise.

In His service for His glory,

Deborah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home