Friday, October 13, 2006

He Feels Your Pain

John 13:34-35
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

James 2:5-17
If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.”
-----------------------------------------------------
Do you remember when President Bill Clinton would say, “I feel your pain”? Long after he left the presidency I still remembered him saying that, and it really aggravated me. I’d think, “Oh, sure you do. You know what it feels like to be in an abusive marriage, to see your kids beaten, to go through divorce and bankruptcy. You know how it feels to lose your home, your job, and your children. You know what it’s like to run out of food and toilet paper and hope. Sure you do.”

Contrast that with Dr. Bob Pierce, who founded World Vision on the words, “Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God.”

I recently talked to a homeless woman in her 60’s outside a grocery store. She was painfully thin, her leathery, wrinkled face surrounded by a wild tangle of long white hair. I asked her if she had a place to stay and she said yes. I asked if she needed any food, but she had several items in her cart and said she didn’t need anything. Then I asked if I could pray for her. Between drags on her cigarette she replied, “No thanks, I’ve already received all my blessings for the day.” All I could say was, “I just want you to know Jesus loves you, and that He wants a better life for you.”

As I walked away, a wave of sadness hit me. I cried all the way home as memories of my own homeless experience flooded over me. I wanted so badly to help her because I really DID feel her pain. And I felt Jesus’ pain, how He longed to help her, but she would have nothing to do with Him.

To be honest, for the first 20 years of my Christian life I was an “I feel your pain, have a nice day” kind of Christian. I can’t do that anymore. When I see someone in need—especially a homeless person—I do whatever I can to help them, even if it’s just praying with them or giving them a bottle of water. Over the past few months, I’ve had the blessing and privilege of bringing three homeless women to stay in my home until they could find a shelter. I never would’ve considered doing that in the past.

Do you know why Jesus became a man, and why He suffered more pain and humiliation than any other man, even to the point of death? Because he felt OUR pain, and His love compelled Him to do something about it.

Whose pain do you feel? Ask the Lord to break your heart with the things that break His heart. Then go out and touch a life in His name.

Blessings on you,

Cathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home