Monday, December 04, 2006

What’s it Worth?

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”

As I walked from my office to the bank one morning, I saw a girl crouched down on the sidewalk by the liquor store with her face hidden in her hands. She looked dirty, so I figured she was homeless. As I passed by her I thought, "I'll get an extra $20 from the bank and give it to her when I come back." But I heard the Lord very distinctly saying, "Turn around now--she won't be there when you come back."

Feeling kind of silly, I walked back to the liquor store, crouched down in front of her and asked, "Are you OK?" She lifted her head and began pouring out her heart with tears streaming down her face. She and her boyfriend (both 21) had been living in the park for several weeks. She hadn't had a period in a long time and she was gaining weight, so she was pretty sure she was pregnant. They had no family or friends to turn to. They both had misdemeanor charges against them and were thinking about running away to Florida to start over.

Then her boyfriend came out of the liquor store. After talking with both of them for a few more minutes, I took their hands and led them in a prayer to receive Christ and ask God for guidance. Then I spent the next hour as a substitute mom, helping them talk through all their issues. In the end, the Lord put it on my heart to give them my business card and $100 for bus passes and a marriage license.

I wish I could say I solved all of their problems, but I didn’t. All I did was put them in touch with Jesus, the only One who really could solve their problems.

Jesus commands us to give—not just our money, but also our time, our attention, and our love. He also promises we will receive back whatever we have given—money, time, attention, and love. Because I reached out to that young couple in Jeus’s name, I know that when one of MY children gets in trouble and I’m not there, God will send someone to help them.

What’s that worth? Priceless.

Love in Christ,

Cathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home